Licensing & Registration

September 29, 2020

Program Information

How to Submit a New or Renewal Handgun License Application

Find a Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Certified Instructor for:

Become a Texas DPS-Certified Handgun Instructor

LTC Fee Schedule and Fingerprinting Information

LTC Administrative Resources

LTC Eligibility and Citizenship Information

  • Eligibility FAQs

  • Lawful Presence Requirements

  • Out-of-State, Non-Texas resident:  Per Texas Government Code §411.173, legal residents of another state or persons who relocate to Texas with the intent to establish residency may obtain an LTC. Those individuals must submit an application, pay the required fees, successfully complete the required training in Texas and submit all supporting documents. They also must submit form LTC-6, two passport style photos and a copy of their out of state driver license or state issued identification card. Note, however, that all LTC applicants must be legal residents of Texas or another state.

  • Reciprocity with Other States

LTC Change of Address or Lost License

  • Change of Address: You may submit a request to change the address on your LTC online at License To Carry A Handgun. Students attending school out-of-state may leave their permanent address on their LTC. The address change will be required once the student has established a different permanent address.

    NOTE: Changing the address on your Texas Driver License or ID Card will not automatically change the address on your LTC. You must submit a separate request at License To Carry A Handgun.

  • Lost or Stolen License: You may submit a request to replace a lost or stolen license online at: License To Carry A Handgun
    NOTE: When DPS replaces a lost/stolen license, the license number will be changed for security reasons.