CDL Exempt Drivers

February 2, 2024

Commercial Driver License (CDL) Exemptions

Some commercial vehicles, based upon their gross vehicle weight rating, may not require the driver to hold a CDL.   Drivers of these vehicles need to hold a Class A or B non-commercial driver’s license.  If you drive one of these vehicles, you must fill out and submit a Texas Class A or B Driver License Application for Non-CDL Exempt Vehicles (CDL-2).   See CDL-Exempt Vehicle Test Sites.


  1. Military or commercial vehicles when used for military purposes by military personnel;
  2. A farm truck or trailer that a farmer drives to move farm goods, tools, or supplies within 150 miles of their farm;
  3. Firefighting or emergency vehicles;
  4. Recreational vehicles driven for personal use;
  5. Vehicles owned, leased, or controlled by an air carrier and driven only on airport property;
  6. Vehicles used exclusively to transport seed cotton modules or cotton burrs;
  7. Former military vehicle manufactured for use in any country's military forces AND:
    1. Maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately; AND
    2. Operated intrastate only; AND
    3. Not driven for compensation or in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;
  8. A covered farm vehicle:
    1. Used to transport agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies to or from a farm or ranch AND:
    2. Not used in for-hire motor carrier operations.