Miscellaneous Questions

February 10, 2021

1. Are fees submitted refundable or transferable?

No, in accordance with Texas Administrative Code §35.131, and as printed on all applications submitted to the Private Security Program, “fees submitted are non-refundable or transferable.”

2. Can I change an application or license from one application or license type to another (i.e, Non-Commissioned Security Officer to a Commissioned Security Officer)?

No. A new application must be submitted for the new license type, plus you must submit the appropriate fees.

3. How do I obtain a replacement pocket card or company license?

Sign on to TOPS and request a duplicate pocket card. The pocket card will be mailed to the individual's mailing address.

4. How do I notify DPS a licensed individual has been terminated from my company?

To notify DPS a licensed individual has been terminated from your company, please submit notice using the instructions found at Employee Terminations.

Note: A notification for termination states an employee was terminated by the current employer however, a termination notice does not remove the individual from the company employee listing in TOPS.

5. How do I get copies of my paperwork, certificates, files, etc?

Open Record Requests must follow the Texas Public Information Act, please refer to the following requirements and guidelines.

6. How do I file a complaint against a regulated company or individual?

Complete the online form on our Contact US site, or complete and submit PSP-22 (PDF) (Complaint Form) and submit by using the secured online Contact Center.