Frequently Asked Questions

April 15, 2021

Driver Licenses and Identification Cards

1.  How may I replace a lost license if I do not know my DL number?

Many driver license transactions may be conducted online if you know the following information:

  • Driver license or identification card number
  • Date of Birth
  • The last four numbers of your social security number
  • The audit number located on the face of the card; or, if you do not know your audit number, are able to answer four unique security questions

If you do not know your driver license number, you may be able to obtain it from one of the following documents: 

  • Your automobile insurance policy
  • Home or automobile lease agreements
  • A copy of your license provided to your Physician
  • Similar legal or business documents

For more information, please visit our webpage on How to replace your driver license, Commercial driver license or ID card.


2.  What if I am not eligible to renew online, can online renewal be available to more people?

No.  The Department already allows individuals whose driver licenses (DL) and identification cards (ID) are eligible under state law to renew online.  If you are not eligible to renew online you must schedule an appointment at a driver license office.


3.  May elderly people (over the age of 70) be allowed to renew online?

Yes.  If you are under the age of 79, you may be eligible to renew your DL or ID online if you did not renew online last time and you meet certain criteria.  For more information and to see if you are eligible, visit our webpage on How to renew your Texas Driver License, Motorcycle License or Identification card


4.  Will REAL ID requirements be extended?

Yes. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has announced that the REAL ID Act deadline has been extended to May 3, 2023.  To assist those who are required to travel and the public, the Transportation Security Administration has released guidelines on accepting state issued cards for identity purposes.  For more information visit the Transportation Security Administration.


5.  What if my out-of-state license expires before I can get it transferred to Texas?

New Texas residents can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another U.S. state, U.S. territory, Canadian province, or qualifying country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas.

If your out-of- state driver license expires before you are able to transfer it to Texas, contact your state’s Driver License Authority for further assistance. They may provide information that you may download extending your license. If your license has expired and you cannot obtain an extension from your state’s Driver License Authority, you will be required to take the written and driving tests. 

Visit the Department's webpage How to apply for a Texas Driver License for more information on applying for a Texas driver license.


6. Will my SAVE verification continue during the office closing?

Yes. If your case went to a 2nd or 3rd verification step after your initial visit to an office, it will continue to be processed by the Department as long as the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (USDHS) continues their processes. We will update this FAQ if there are changes by USDHS.


7. How do I request a Temporary Permit while out of state?

To request a temporary driving permit:

  1. Send an email request to
  2. Include your full name, license number, and date of birth.
  3. State the reason you are requesting a Temporary Permit.
  4. State that you are completing the required application for an Out of State/Country duplicate license.
  5. No fee is required for requesting this Temporary Permit.
  6. If approved, the Temporary Permit will be sent by encrypted email with instructions on how to retrieve the encrypted item.

Please note that only one Temporary Driving Permit is approved within a 12 month period.


Commercial Driver Licenses

 1. How can I submit a medical certificate?

CDL holders can submit a medical certificate to the inbox or fax to 512-424-2002.


2. What if my medical certification is expiring soon or has expired?

On March 20, 2020, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration granted states the ability to delay downgrades due to expired medical certificates during the COVID-19 State of Disaster.  The Department stopped the downgrade process effective March 20th.

If you were downgraded because your medical certificate expired before March 20, 2020, you are not eligible for an extension.  You may schedule an appointment to upgrade your CDL.

  • Medical certificates or federal variances that were valid on February 29, 2020 and expired on or after March 1, 2020 but before February 28, 2021, are no longer covered by the federal waiver and have been downgraded.
  • If your medical certificate expired on or after March 01, 2021 but before June 01, 2021, the waiver expires on August 31, 2021.
  • If your medical certificate expires on or after June 01, 2021, the waiver will expire on November 30, 2021.

If you have your medical certificate now, it can be emailed to the inbox or fax to 512-424-2002.


3. Do I still need to wait 14 days after getting my commercial learner permit (CLP) before I can take the skills test?

FMCSA is waiving the 14-day requirement to hold a CLP before skills testing can be conducted. At this time, the commercial driver license offices that are conducting skills tests will continue to prioritize testing for those drivers who have held the CLP for 14 days or longer. CDL Third Party Skills Test providers may prioritize drivers who were already scheduled for testing or may waive the 14-day requirement, depending on their business need. This waiver expires November 30, 2021.    


4. I am traveling out of state and need to get back to Texas to renew my CDL, what can I do?

The Governor’s extension for a driver license, commercial driver license and identification card expiration dates expired on April 14, 2021.  If you need further assistance, please call us at 512-424-2600.


5. If my Texas vision or limb waiver is about to expire, will an extension be granted to continue driving a commercial vehicle?

Yes, on March 20, 2020, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration granted states the ability to delay downgrades due to expired medical certificates or cancellations of CDL privileges due to expired vision/limb waivers during the COVID-19 State of Disaster. The Department is offering the same for Texas vision and limb waivers.

  • If your vision or limb waiver expired on or after March 01, 2021 but before June 01, 2021, you had until August 31, 2021 to complete the renewal.
  • If your vision or limb waiver expires on or after June 01, 2021, you will have until November 30, 2021 to complete the renewal.

To obtain a renewal application, visit TxDPS Forms and enter CDL-36 for a vison waiver application or CDL-37 for a limb waiver application. Once completed, send to for processing.


6. Is COVID-19 going to delay TSA approvals?

At this time, TSA advises they will continue to process threat assessment applications and does not anticipate any delays.


7. If my medical certificate is soon to expire and I am unable to see a doctor to renew, will l I have to retest if my CDL is downgraded?

A CDL that was downgraded solely for failure to provide a valid medical certificate, may be upgraded to the previous CDL status without having to take the CDL Knowledge Exams or CDL Skill Tests if the license has not been expired move then two years and the license has not been renewed or re-issued since the downgrade. You are able to email medical certification to the inbox or fax to 512-424-2002.


Third Party Skills Test

1. Will Third Party Skills Test (TPST) Providers/Schools be able to conduct skills test on CDL and Class C applicants?

You will need to contact the TPST providers directly to verify if they will be conducting skills tests during this time.


2. Will new CDL TPST Provider applications be processed at this time?

Yes; however, the processing could be delayed due to limited resources.


3. My certification has either expired or will expire during the COVID-19 pandemic. Will an extension be granted for me to take the refresher training course?

Yes, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has given the states the flexibility to extend the required refresher training interval from four to five years for examiners who became due for refresher training on or after March 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. States are permitted to grant examiners an additional year from the date they became due for the refresher training to complete the requirement. The Department will provide refresher training information to examiners through the third party skills test provider.