New to Texas
Vehicle registration and inspection are separate processes. The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) oversees vehicle registration and the Department of Public Safety (DPS) supervises the vehicle inspection program.
- New residents are required to do the following within 30 days of moving to Texas:
- Get a vehicle inspection
- Register and title their vehicle
- The vehicle must pass inspection before it can be registered and titled.
- Both the registration and inspection process require proof of financial responsibility.
Texas has both a safety inspection program and an emissions (I/M) program. If you present your vehicle for inspection in one of the emissions counties it will receive a safety and emissions test.
- Counties participating in the emissions (I/M) program include: Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, El Paso, Ellis, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnston, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, and Williamson.