Skip to main content

Driving Privilege Reciprocity

Driving privilege reciprocity allows a person to use a valid, unexpired foreign license to operate a motor vehicle in Texas for up to one year or until a person becomes a Texas resident, whichever date is sooner. Once a person becomes a new Texas resident, they must apply for a Texas license within 90 days to continue to drive legally. For more information, please review the Moving to Texas page.

Noncommercial licenses:
The state’s recognition of driving privilege reciprocity is governed by the following international agreements coordinated and signed by the federal government. To see a list of countries for each agreement, click the link provided.

General Provisions of International Agreements:

Note: These are general provisions only. For the complete text of an agreement, click the links provided.

Commercial licenses:

Only commercial driver licenses from Canada and Mexico are recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Transportation as having full reciprocity for driving privileges in the state of Texas.