Driver License and Identification Services for Veterans

September 29, 2020

This guide provides information to obtain a Texas driver license or identification card if you are an active-duty military member, recently discharged veteran, or a disabled veteran.

Skip the Tests (Active Duty & Recently Discharged)

Active-duty military personnel and veterans discharged within the last 90 days with an expired out-of-state DL may be exempt from written and skills tests by presenting a valid military ID and p roof that the previous state of residence allows a military extension that waived tests.  

Visit the Applying for a Texas Driver License webpage for a complete list of requirements and application instructions.

Fee Exemption for Disabled Veterans

Veterans with a service-related disability of at least 60% and meet all the requirements below may qualify for a free Texas DL or ID card:

  • Honorable discharge
  • Disability compensation from the US government
  • Not required to register as sex offender 

NOTE: The exemption does not apply to commercial driver licenses (CDL).

Verifying Disability

Veterans with a service-related disability must present copies of one of these documents:

  • Signed disability letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs or 
  • Official documents to confirm your honorable discharge, disability rating, and disability compensation 

Once disability status is verified, veterans will be eligible to utilize online services for fee-exempt DL/ID card transactions.

Veteran and Disabled Veteran Designations 

The department offers a VETERAN and DISABLE VETERAN designation printed on the face of the DL/ID for qualifying veterans.

 driver license image with veteran designatoridentification card image with veteran designator

Disabled Veteran









Veteran Designation Eligibility

To be eligible for the veteran designation, an individual must be a veteran who was honorably discharged or has a general discharge (under honorable conditions).

For this purpose, a veteran is someone who served in the:

  • Army
  • Air Force
  • Coast Guard
  • Marines
  • Navy
  • Texas National Guard (but not Texas State Guard), including the Texas Army and Air National Guard

To request the Veteran designator, a Veteran must visit a driver license office and present one of the following:

  • DD-214
  • DD-215
  • NGB-22
  • PHS1867 (Block 19 with service dates, discharge status, and order number)
  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Proof of Service/Verification of Honorable Service Card
  • U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs disability letter
  • A Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or License to Carry (LTC) with a veteran designator
  • Veterans Identification Card (VIC)

If renewing by mail, the verification document must be sent with the renewal invitation.

Disabled Veteran Designation Eligibility

Veterans who are at least 50% disabled, or 40% disabled with a lower extremity amputation, may request a "DISABLED VETERAN" designation.  Proof of disability percentage is required (US Department of Veterans Affairs disability letter).

Veterans may also choose to display their branch of service listed below on their DL or ID:

  • Army
  • Air Force
  • Coast Guard
  • Marines
  • Navy

Out-of-State Veterans

Mail the following to request the veteran designation: 

  1. Out-of-state/country application (DL-16P)
  2. Copy of DD-214 or DD-215
  3. Texas Residency Documentation
  4. Explanation of Eye Specialist (only if renewing a driver license)
  5. Required fee* (Please send a check, money order or cashier’s check payable to TX DPS.)

*The veteran designation is free-of-charge when applying for an original/renewal driver license or when making a change to a license. Veterans who are only adding a designation must pay the required fee for a duplicate license.  Disabled veterans qualifying for the fee exemption will not be charged to add a veteran designation.

Mailing Address:

Texas Department of Public Safety
Central Cash Receiving
P.O. Box 15999
Austin, TX 78761-5999

Residency Addresses outside of Texas

Military personnel, their spouses and dependents may us their military address e.g. John Henry Smith, Co. B, 12th Inf., Camp Barkley, Abilene, Texas) or their Texas residence address.

Veteran Contribution

You may voluntarily donate to the Fund for Veteran’s Assistance when applying for a DL/ID.   For more information concerning these contributions, please visit the Texas Veterans Commission website.