Skip to main content

Vehicle Registered in Another State

My Vehicle Inspection certificate from another state is expiring while I am in Texas.  What process do I follow to remain compliant?
You may obtain an inspection certificate by presenting your vehicle for inspection at a local inspection station. Texas has both a safety inspection program and an emissions (I/M) program. If you present your vehicle for inspection in one of the emissions counties it will receive a safety & emissions test. You may request an emission only test if your state only requires an emission inspection.

Generally, states honor the laws of other states, and there are even reciprocal agreements, where this state honors other states laws as their own.

Your vehicle does not have to be registered in Texas in order to be inspected; you do, however, have to show proof of financial responsibility.

My home state requires an emission test
Emission inspections are only available in counties participating in the emissions (I/M) program: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, El Paso, Travis, and Williamson.