Skip to main content

April 2017 Severe Weather/Tornadoes in Texas

On April 29, severe weather and deadly tornadoes struck several Texas counties.  On May 1, Governor Greg Abbott declared a state of disaster in three Texas counties: Henderson, Rains and Van Zandt counties.

This page contains information and points of contact for assistance in the recovery process.

A Volunteer Reception Center (VRC) is now open at the Van Zandt County Fairgrounds located at 24742 State Highway 64 in Canton, Texas.
The VRC coordinates volunteers to best assist where needed in the field and provides homeowners with assistance.

More information on federal disaster assistance programs.

TDEM Points of Contact


District Coordinator
First stop contact for general information.

Deaun Stinecipher


Recovery & Mitigation
Field contact on all things recovery and mitigation.

Mollie Rivas

Andrea Lowe


Disaster Recovery Finance
Contact on disaster finance, documentation and related processes.

Shari Ramirez-MacKay


Voluntary Agency Liaison
Contact on volunteers and donations.

DeAnna Stemock


What do I need to do?

  1. The chief elected official of the jurisdiction declares a local state of disaster before requesting disaster recovery assistance.  Send declaration to your TDEM District Coordinator and/or to the TDEM State Operations Center (SOC) (phone number 512-424-2208).

    Sample Disaster Declaration (PDF)

  2. Complete and send a Disaster Summary Outline to your TDEM District Coordinator or to the TDEM SOC.  As soon as possible, all jurisdictional departments should begin gathering initial damage estimates.  These numbers help determine if both county and state thresholds will be met for PA and if the number of major and destroyed homes will allow for IA.  Updated DSOs can be submitted as often as necessary.

    DSOs may be submitted online. If you are unable to complete the form online, please send an email to: or call (512) 424-5333.

  3. If the damage reported on the DSO indicates possible eligibility for federal disaster assistance, you will be contacted to schedule a preliminary damage assessment (PDA) conducted by state and federal officials. IA and PA PDAs are completed separately.

    To see what a jurisdiction should have prepared before the PDA teams arrive visit the major disaster declaration information page.

    For more information on types of assistance available in a major disaster declaration, visit the individual and public assistance page.