Skip to main content

Motorcycle and Moped Licenses

In addition to meeting the requirements necessary to obtain a regular driver license, individuals must apply for a Class M to operate a motorcycle or moped.

The Motorcycle Operator’s Manual is available to help prepare individuals to get their motorcycle license.

Motorcycle Safety Course

To obtain a Class M driver license, individuals must take a DPS-approved motorcycle safety course and bring the certificate of completion with them to the driver license office. If an individual has a valid motorcycle license from another state, DPS will waive the motorcycle safety course requirement.

Note: The Motorcycle Safety Course completion certificate is only valid for 24 months from issuance.

Prior to enrolling in the motorcycle safety course, minors (aged 15 - 17) must either:

  1. Have a Class C learner license and have completed the 32 hour classroom phase of a driver education course; or
  2. Present a certificate of completion of the classroom phase (32 hours) of a driver education course (the behind the wheel portion of the driver education course is not required to take the motorcycle safety course or apply for a Class M license; or
  3. A provisional driver license.

Application Requirements for Minors
Applicants must be at least 15 years of age and may be restricted to operating a motorcycle with no more than a 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement. This restriction can be removed on the applicants 16th birthday. To apply for a Class M license, a minor must:

Note: Applicant must provide the motorcycle and a car and driver to follow the applicant during the driving test for a motorcycle license.

Minors from Out-of-State
In Texas, the driver education requirement applies to all individuals under 18, even if they already hold a motorcycle license from another state.

Vision and Knowledge Tests may be required for a motorcycle or moped license.  The motorcycle knowledge test is waived for persons presenting a valid Motorcycle Safety Course completion certificate as of January 12. 2015. This does NOT apply to applicants for a moped license who are required by statute to pass the motorcycle knowledge test.

Motorcycle Drive Test
The motorcycle drive test CANNOT be waived for any applicant under 18.  All Individuals must take the motorcycle drive test unless the individuals are:

Individuals applying for a moped must take the basic driver license knowledge test (unless the individual holds a learner license or driver license) and the motorcycle knowledge test. Both tests will be waived for individuals who hold a valid motorcycle license from another state.

The motorcycle skills test is not required for those applying for a moped license.

   Class M Restrictions

Sometimes a restriction code may be placed on a driver license. This is not meant to interfere with an individual’s driving but to make the individual a better driver. Individuals who wish to have a restriction code removed may contact any driver license office.

For individuals under 18 years of age, the Graduated Driver License (GDL) Program enforces some restrictions on when and how a minor may ride a motorcycle during the first year they have a Class M. Phase two of the GDL Program applies to minors who currently hold a Class M.

Motorcycle Learner License (J restriction)
A motorcycle learner license allows an individual to practice riding a motorcycle if a licensed motorcycle operator who is 21 years of age or older is “in sight” and watching.

To apply for a motorcycle learner license, an individual must meet all of the requirements necessary to obtain a learner license, plus complete a motorcycle safety course. (Please bring the certificate of completion to the driver license office when applying for a license.)

Minors are required to take a motorcycle riding test to remove the “J” restriction.

15 Year-Olds (I restriction)
Individuals may apply for a Class M at 15 years of age, but will have an “I” restriction placed on their license. This restriction only allows an individual to ride a motorcycle with 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement or less.

At 16 years of age, an individual may apply at any driver license office to have the “I” restriction removed. If the restriction is removed, the individual may then ride any type of motorcycle.

Moped Restriction (P36 restriction)
A motorcycle riding test is not required to operate a moped. A Class M with a “P36” restriction allows an individual to ride mopeds, but not motorcycles.

A scooter is not a legal vehicle classification. Scooters are legally classified as either a moped or motorcycle.

To be eligible for a “P36” restriction, the moped the individual is riding must be on the list of certified mopeds.

If the moped is not on the list, answer the following questions to find out if it qualifies as a moped:

  1. Can it travel more than 30 miles per hour?
  2. Does it require the individual to shift gears?
  3. Does it have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters?

If the answer is YES to any of these questions, then the moped is classified as a motorcycle and the individual is not eligible for the “P36” restriction.

If the answer is NO to all three questions, download the moped affidavit and take it to the moped dealer or manufacturer for completion. Please bring the completed affidavit to any driver license office to receive the “P36” restriction.

   Texas Drivers Living Out-of-State

Individuals 18 years of age or older who are currently living outside of Texas but want to add a Class M to their Class A, B or C Texas driver license, must:

  1. Complete a motorcycle safety course approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
  2. Gather the following items and mail to the address on the application:
    1. A completed out-of-state driver license application (an application must be completed for a new Class M driver license)
    2. The motorcycle safety course completion certificate
    3. Provide proof of Texas Residency
    4. The required fee
      1. DPS accepts checks, money orders or cashier checks only
      2. Do not send cash
    5. Active duty military who do not have a Texas address must include a copy of their military ID (active duty military members are exempt from the Texas residency requirement)

The new Class AM, BM or CM license will be mailed within 45 days.