The registration fee for a commercial motor vehicle as a farm
vehicle is 50 percent of the applicable fee under Section 502.162.
The vehicle may be used for:
- Transporting the person’s own poultry, dairy, livestock, livestock
products, timber in its natural state, or farm products to market or
another place for sale or processing.
- Transporting laborers from their place of residence to the owner’s farm or ranch.
- Transporting without charge, materials, tools, equipment, or supplies
from the place of purchase or storage to the owner’s farm or
ranch exclusively for the owner’s use or for use on the farm or ranch.
- Transporting the owner’s family:
to attend church or school:
to visit a doctor for medical treatment or supplies: or
for other necessities of the home or family.
- May not use a vehicle registered under this section in
connection with gainful employment other than farming or ranching.
- May not use a vehicle with a "FARM TRUCK"
license plate to tow a trailer with a "TOKEN TRAILER" license plate.
An owner is not required to register a farm trailer or farm semitrailer
that has a gross weight of 4,000 pounds or less.
A vehicle owner may obtain a "FARM TRAILER" license plate for
a farm trailer or farm semitrailer with a gross of more
than 4,000 pounds but not more than 34,000 pounds. The fee for a
"FARM TRAILER" license plate is $5.00 per year.
A farm trailer or farm semitrailer with a "FARM TRAILER"
license plate is exempt from the state inspection certificate
requirements. "FARM TRAILER" license plates may only be
used on farm trailers and farm semitrailers used exclusively to transport
- seasonally harvested agricultural products or livestock from
the place of production to the place of processing, market, storage: or
- farm supplies from the place of loading to the farm.
This section also applies to:
- a farm trailer or farm semitrailer owned by a cotton gin
and used exclusively to transport agricultural products
without charge from the place of production to the place
of processing, market, or storage.
- a trailer used exclusively to transport fertilizer without
charge form a place of supply or storage to a farm.
- a trailer used exclusively to transport cottonseed without
charge from a place of supply or storage to a farm or place
This section does not apply to a farm trailer or farm semitrailer that:
- is used for hire; or
- has metal tires operating in contact with the highway: or
- is not equipped with an adequate hitch pinned or locked so that
it will remain securely engaged to the towing vehicle while in motion; or
- is not operated and equipped in compliance with all other law.